Thursday, July 26, 2012

My (Cheap) Trip to Pittsburgh Day 2

Yesterday, I posted my first day in Pittsburgh.  It was pretty inexpensive.  Day two was even cheaper.
On Saturday Marla had to work. She works with young kids on an Americor program. On this day, they were tie-dyeing t-shirts so I tagged along to help. It turned out to be a highlight of the trip and very inexpensive. We set up shop on the sidewalk outside the center. The kids dropped in from 1 until 3 p.m. I helped by giving directions when it got a little crowded and with general clean-up. The people (adults and kids) were friendly and they really seemed to enjoy tie-dyeing the shirts. We even had a few adults try it when we were finishing up. We ate our subs for lunch while we worked.

Marla worked until 7 p.m. so I took the bus downtown to try out a self guided tour I had downloaded onto my phone from Robert Morris University. Are you apprehensive about riding city busses? You don't have to be with Hop Stop. This app will make navigating any bus, subway or train in any major city easier to navigate. All you have to do is type in your starting and ending destination and you will know exactly where to get the bus and exactly where to depart. The tour was great. I got a lot of background information on some of the major buildings in the city. The only downside was I couldn't go inside any of the buildings because it was Saturday and they were closed
.
That's me in the reflection of the PPG building. Right after this picture was taken, I stopped at Starbucks in Market Square for a snack and a bottle of water. After I finished the tour, Marla picked me up near Duquesne University. We headed back to her place and changed for dinner. We went to a place called Beernutz. It was a local bar and restaurant. It had the best hamburger I ever had (and I've had a lot of burgers). Marla's roommate worked here and gave us her meal discount so some more savings for my trip on the cheap. Yay!

Total cost for day 2 in Pittsburgh:
Soda for lunch $1.00
Snack in Market Square $3.80
Supper at Beernutz $14.62

Total: $19.42

Check in tomorrow for day three!

No comments:

Post a Comment